Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Recipe: Chicken Souvlaki

Chicken on a pita with fresh spinach and dressing. Chicken and dressing recipes are below.
One of my favorite restaurants in Omaha serves a dish, Chicken Souvlaki. I have tried to duplicate it and I have failed every time. Therefore, I was grateful to find a recipe that is different but produces yumminess in every bite. Here is the recipe I followed:

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts cut into inch slices
Pita bread

Marinade
Mint, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lemon, grated zest and juice
1 jalepeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 Tbs. coriander seeds, ground
1 tsp turmeric
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup EVOO
salt and pepper

Dressing
1 large bunch of cilantro
1 cup plain yogurt
1 lemon, grated zest and juiced
2 Tbs. EVOO

Directions:
-Mix all the marinade ingredients in one bowl. Add the chicken cubes, cover and chill at least one night, I ended up doing about 48 hours.
-Place chicken in a skillet and cook. Takes about 15 minutes.
-While chicken is cooking, prepare dressing by putting all ingredients into a food processor until it is smooth, green sauce. I ended up just putting the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mixing with a fork.
-Serve on pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment