Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Moroccan Flank Steak

It's spring break for me. Currently I am packing up my apartment and the anticipation of moving to Seattle is growing each day. Moving sure does strum up an appetite; therefore, I am definitely going to be experimenting with some cooking. Two of my favorite restaurants in Omaha are Moroccan restaurants; therefore, I am desperately trying to replicate the deliciousness that these restaurants possess. Although I haven't found the right combination of ingredients and spices for replication, I take it with a grain of salt and keep trying. This is a delicious entree that takes little prep time and is versatile. It can be added to salads or served alongside rice and vegetables.
Moroccan Flank Steak fresh from the grill (skillet on stove)
Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon of white wine (it called for sherry, dry but I didn't have any)
  • Juice from one lemon (called for 2 tablespoon)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • pinch of salt (called for 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (called for 2 cloves of garlic minced)
  • 1 tablespoon of ground ginger (called for 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger)
  • 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
  • 3/4 pound flank steak
Combine all ingredients except steak in a bowl and mix throughly. Place meat in a large plastic Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over the steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1.5- 3 hours (I did it over night). Grill the steak to your preferred doneness. I prefer my steak to not be mooing at me when I eat it so I did it medium-well. Recipe called for medium rare which is a total time of cooking for 10 minutes.
*It was good but I could really taste the wine; therefore, I wonder what it would have tasted like if I had put the sherry in it. If I was to make it again I would double the spices (cumin, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne pepper, parsley); I feel like it could have been more powerful in spices.*


No comments:

Post a Comment