So yesterday was Ash Wednesday, which symbolizes the first day of Lent (40 days of prayer and fasting for some Christians). I have only participated in Lent for one year (2010), and that year I gave up "pulling all-nighters." and I was successful. For me, participating in Lent was not a religious experience but rather I was just curious if I could do it. The forty days of "sacrifice" reminded me of a short-term New Year's Resolution with a higher success rate. Therefore, I was curious what are typical and atypical luxuries that people are giving up as a form of penitence:
- Give up lying to your roommate about where their Poptarts are disappearing to
- Promise yourself to give up beer, resolve to drink more hard liquor
- Give up work. You always complain about it anyway.
- Give up chocolate and sweets, everyone knows french fries and burgers taste better anyway.
- Give up watching TV, most good shows are on the internet anyways.