Friday, March 15, 2013

Nothing Is Sweeter Than A Date

If the only dates you have devoured in your life are the pre-package pitted dates that you buy from the store than you have definitely been deprived. I grew up eating the sweetest and softest (they literally melt in your mouth and you had to be careful to not choke on the pit) dates. My family is notorious for when they go to Iran to bring back 20+ boxes of just dates (60+ dates in each box). Although I have been unable to find a date in the United States as good as the ones from Iran (which makes sense since Iran is ranked first for global date production), the medjool date is comparable.

I was attending a potluck and was assigned the dessert course, and as many people know, I do not bake (unless I am baking with my niece, because then I have a guarantee scapegoat if the dessert doesn't come out right). Since I was attempting the dessert course without my niece, I channeled the Middle Eastern within and followed the recipe book Modern Flavors of Arabia and made Spiced Ricotta-Stuffed Dates, and kept my fingers crossed that it would be edible. This is definitely more of a savory dessert (but it is still sweet) and the only things I dirtied were a bowl, whisk, and measuring cups/spoons. This recipe was a hit at the potluck and guests took the leftovers; many hadn't had cardamom before and enjoyed what it added to the recipe.
Pistachio garnished and non-garnished finished recipe

Ingredients:
-22 Medjool dates
-22 blanched almonds (did not use)
-1 cup ricotta cheese
-1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
-1/4 cup half-and-half or heavy cream (I used heavy cream)
-1 1/2 teaspoon freshy grated nutmeg (I just used ground nutmeg)
-1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
-1/4 cup ground pistachios, to garnish

Directions:
-Cut each date lengthwise and remove the pit.
-In a bowl mix together using a whisk all the ingredients except the pistachios.
-You can be fancy and put the mixture in a bag and cut the tip to fill the dates or you can just use a spoon and dip the mixture into the dates.
-Garnish with pistachios. I grounded mine by using a meat tenderizer.

*Recommendations after making it once: I would fill the dates with the mixture a day before and leave in the refrigerator for approximately 12 hours uncovered and then cover the dish with saran wrap/aluminum foil until ready to serve. I would do this because the mixture was a little runnier than anticipated. Dates like Medjool are not meant to be kept in the refrigerator because they start to get stiff, but they will still remain soft. Additionally I would cut the recipe for everything (except the number of dates and pistachios) in half. There was so much mixture left over. I didn't put almonds in because I am not a fan of almonds; however, even though Medjool dates are quite large, with the addition of an almond I think there wouldn't be much room left in the date for the cream mixture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment