Saturday, December 3, 2011

11 Things to Know at 25(ish)

There comes a time in life where you try to decide, are you still a kid or an adult? Society and pop culture has a fascination, and at times a fear of growing older. Peter Pan is the mischievous boy who refuses to grow up. Despite yearly milestones, the Simpson family doesn't physically age. Tommy, Chuckie Phil, and Lil never were out of diapers. Returning to reality, we do not have that luxury of these pop culture characters; unless, you include Joan Rivers, who has spend millions of dollars to not look her age (which is 78 years old). So when are we expected to grow up? Well according to RELEVANT Magazine, 25(ish) is the magic number to become an adult. I am 25 years old; therefore, I thought it was time to be an adult. However, in order to complete this rite of passage, there are 11 things to know (with my commentary in red):

  1. You have time to find a job you love.
    • Okay I would like RELEVANT Magazine to write a note to the federal Direct Loan Program that students do not need to start paying back loans until we find our dream job.
  2. Get out of debt and stay out of debt.
    • No worries, I am paying my Visa credit card bill with my Mastercard right now...problem solved.
  3. Don't rush dating and marriage.
    • I think this was written for Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez (3 marriages),  Frank Sinatra (4 marriages), Rita Hayworth (5 marriages), Tony Curtis (6 marriages), Elizabeth Taylor (8 marriages) and the winner is Zsa Zsa Gabor with 9 marriages. I bet Gabor is shooting for an even dozen.
  4. Give your bests to friends and family.
    • I always tell my friends how much they mean to me......on facebook of course by "liking" their photos. After all, a pictures says a thousand words; therefore, every time I like a photo=1000 words.
  5. Get some counseling.
  6. Seek out a mentor.
  7. Be a part of a church.
    • I think the part of the church I want to be is the steeple; I think that is a safe distance away from all the children.
  8. Find a rhythm for spiritual disciplines.
    • Solitude. I hibernate.
  9. Volunteer.
    • I volunteer in my spare time to improving beginning drivers' ability. Whenever, I see a Student Driver car, I think quick, and become a road rage maniac; it makes the teenagers learn quick. I am still wanting for those hundreds of thank you notes.....
  10. Feed yourself and the people you love.
    • Why would I want to give food poisoning to myself and those I love....that's why there is take-out menus drawer.
  11. Don't get stuck.
    • Not a huge worry for me because there isn't a lot of quicksand around the midwest. Although, I will keep an eye out for wet cement...or is it concrete?
If you are interested in reading the actually article here is the URL: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/whole-life/features/25956-11-things-to-know-at-25ish

No comments:

Post a Comment