Wednesday, April 29, 2015

All Hail the Mighty Tulips of Skagit Valley

In the month of April, one million people travel and visit the Skagit Valley in Washington for one reason: to see millions of tulips. This year, the state of Washington has had an unseasonably warm winter and spring, which has caused all floral blooming to begin early; the tulips were no exception.

Roozengaarde is the largest tulip gardens in Washington; it's located in Mount Vernon. My first Tulip Festival experience was in 2013, and I visited Roozengaarde. It was definitely a wet, cloudy, gray, and rainy spring day; the puddles in the tulip fields were mid-calf deep; but the tulips were beyond amazing. I have so many things I want to do and see in Washington that I hardly ever repeat experiences, but I told myself that I would attend the festival again in the future, and hopefully I would get a glance of the mountains that surround the tulip fields.

Tulip Festival round two happened this year, on Easter Sunday at Roozengaarde; it was a sunny and an egg-cellent day for sharing the experience with my mom (who was visiting from the midwest). The tulip gardens were definitely much busier with the sunshine and the holiday traffic; but the views were beyond spectacular!

We were just a little early for some of the tulips to be in full bloom, but I definitely understood why some of the gardens opened earlier this year. When we arrived, the first thing I noticed was that we were almost too late to see any daffodils. The daffodils were mostly already wilted and turning brown; there was still a few perky, yellow ones left. The display garden was a little too crowded to spend too much time in, besides, my mom was very eager to start skipping through the tulip fields.

Since I attended the festival in 2013, the tulip fields seemed to have doubled in acreage this year. If you get a chance to attend the festival, you definitely should. After we left the tulip fields, we explored the adorable resorty city of La Conner. Oh my goodness, does La Conner have amazing bakeries, and especially scones. It was my first time exploring La Conner and I will definitely visit again. Enjoy the pictures and happy springtime to all!

It was a clear and sunny day to see tulips and mountains
These tulips are called Princess Irene 
The pastel Easter tulips were not blooming yet

It was hard to get a picture of the fields of tulips without people between the rows, because this was the most ignored sign ever 
Rainbow colors of tulips

Display gardens tulips

My mom and me and the beginning of the tulip fields
Staying on the main road (as the many signs posted asked for) and taking a picture among the tulips
Display Garden: Tulips with daffodils and mountains in the background
Display Garden: Abigail (my niece's name) strain of tulips
Display Garden: Aladdin strain of tulips
Display Garden: Ballerina strain of tulips
Display Garden: Fabio strain of tulips

The daffodils fields that were almost done blooming

No comments:

Post a Comment