Sunday, October 20, 2013

Climbing Mount Si


Currently, my favorite hiking book to refer to enjoy the outdoors is 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles Seattle. I have currently accomplished 1/6 of the hikes in the book; for those readers who are allergic to solving fractions, I have completed 10 hikes from the book. And yes, my goal is to be able to say one day that I have done all 60 hikes.

The most recent mountain that I have climbed from base to summit was Mount Si. In the book this mountain is described as, “Easy to reach, physically challenging, and capped by a commanding view, the mountain known simply as Si is like a city park crossed with a serious Cascade Mountain peak.” However, one thing left out of the book is that this trailhead has one of the most foul-smelling restrooms, the women’s restroom door doesn’t close or lock, and there’s no window (so it’s pitch dark inside); therefore, going at a gas station right before getting on SE Mount Si road is highly recommended for your nose and gag reflex.

This was the tallest mountain that I have climbed so far; however, it wasn’t the longest hike that I have gone on; one time I did a 18.5-mile day hike (refer to 18.5 mile hike blog post in May 2013).  On a clear day, at the summit you can see Mount Rainier; I wasn’t able to see it when I climbed.  Once at the summit, it was about 40 degrees and I definitely got cold. I enjoyed my lunch at the summit and enjoyed the ever-changing view because the clouds rolled in and out, which constantly changed the mountains that could be seen.

Below are pictures from my hike. The leaves on the trees were just beginning to change when I hiked the mountain. Also, I was thankful that the mountain was still snowless!

View from the summit

View from the summit

View from the summit

This is not what the trail looked like for the majority of the hike, but I thought the faux staircase was beautiful surrounded by ferns and other greenery 

I am all smiles because I am hiking down the mountain. It was starting to get cold so the sweater and hood became a necessity 

View from summit

I was intrigued by the fungi/moss that was growing on some of the trees

This is a picture of Mount Si taken from the road, right before turning on Mount Si road




No comments:

Post a Comment