Friday, June 7, 2013

Climbing Poo Poo Point


There are so many different trails to do in Washington that I think it is humanely impossible to attempt to do all them in a single lifetime.  If one walks into a Seattle Barnes and Noble there are several hiking books that describe and inform about hikes in Seattle or very close to Seattle. One of those books, 60 Hikes within 60 Miles (2nd ed.) is a great option to follow if one wants to attempt the Poo Poo Point trail for the first time. Over the year that I have lived in Seattle, I have built of an endurance to walk almost endlessly on flat surface with the right shoes (I have walked 18.5 miles in one day before), but I would like to start incorporating more inclines; so I have been motivated to attempt more mountain trails.

The Poo Poo Point trail (go ahead and giggle like a 12-year old about the name for the trail) has a lot of unsigned junctions and it seemed to be easy to get lost in the first .25 miles of the trail. Therefore, I strongly advise getting a very detailed description of the trail; unless, you are all for hiking spontaneously all over a mountain. Wandering aimlessly on a mountain is not me, because I don't carry a compass, cannot use the stars for direction, and was not a Girl's Scout so I have zero skills for gathering and hunting. Basically, I would be the first person to die in the Hunger Games. The trail is rated as difficult for the incline, mileage, and the wonderful switchbacks; however, there are a couple of areas that are mostly flat. The trail was mostly dirt and gravel with a few dirt steps.

Poo Poo Point Trail is located on Tiger Mountain and offers a lot of forest and plant life on the trail.  There are a couple of bridges and a little water (creek). It was a little warmer than what I would like for a hike but the weather provided clear skies, which equals a great view once at the top. A potential added bonus that Poo Poo Point offers is getting to see paragliders launch from the top (unfortunately there wasn’t any launching during our visit). Additionally, there is an outhouse at the top if you are not one to pop a squat in the woods and it has hand sanitizer in it.

The approximately 8-mile roundtrip hike is not a loop. I hiked on a weekday, and there were several people on the trail but it never got congested. Additionally, there are two main trailheads to this trail: one at the high school and one right before I-90 ramp; we did the latter one.

View from the summit of Poo Poo Point

View from the summit of Poo Poo Point


The green landing area is where paragliders launch from

This is what a lot of the trail looks like (lots of green and trees, narrow path)

No comments:

Post a Comment