Friday, May 3, 2013

"Forgettable" Moving Tidbits

I am coming upon my first year anniversary of living in the wonderful city of Seattle; therefore, my lease at my first apartment in Seattle was ending, which meant I needed to move.  I was able to find an apartment approximately .5 miles away and it was $600 cheaper. It still amazes me sometimes how everything in Seattle is so much more expensive than the Midwest; my 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment in downtown Omaha was $650 a month. However, I look out my window and see the beautiful Seattle skyline, the Puget Sound, the mountains and then realize how truly worth it and lucky I am to live here.

Although I consider myself a semi-smart individual (when I am fully caffeinated of course), moving is not my forte and I absolutely detest it; therefore, I make several mistakes every time I move.  I didn't repeat any of the mistakes I made last time, but was inventive enough to create new ones. One would think moving .5 miles away wouldn't be complicated, but of course you would be wrong. Therefore, I thought I would share my mishaps so hopefully you will not repeat them.

-Don’t pack your checkbook before you pay the movers.
-It’s criminal to pack your coffee the night before.
-Don’t pack all of your dishes and silverware before you eat dinner.
-You can never have enough packing tape.
-Take allergy medicine during the packing process; because if your dusting regiment is anything like mine (mine is nonexistent), dust will surround your place as you are moving things.
-Don’t pack all your shoes….you will need something to put on your feet the next day.
-Leave a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom….you never know.
-I recommend not packing ziplocs/baggies before the end; therefore, you can keep things together.
-Don’t pack your cell phone charger until the day of, and remember where you put it.
-Don’t pack your tools; you may need them to take apart furniture.
-Male movers will judge the amount of clothes you have; just accept it.
-If the moving truck is going to be in the alley while moving you should check if you need to reserve the alley; apparently I was suppose to and felt awful for the movers who had to move the truck; I was definitely cringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment