Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Book Review- Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife


In society today, one is asked their religious preference on a regular basis; sometimes verbally, other times by checking a box on a form. Throughout life, an individual usually goes through many changes and one of those changes may be in religion/belief in God.

In my immediate family there are four of us. My mother is Baptist; my father is a Muslim, and my sister is a Mormon.  So in that equation, what does that make me? Well, I was raised Baptist…but who am I now? And for that, I don’t have an answer; and I am not sure I want to answer it….. yet. Therefore, I seek out those who claim to have found the answers.

My latest resource that I have turned to is the book, Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife.  It’s about this acclaimed neurosurgeon who has a near death experience that puts him in a seven-day coma. The story goes back and forth between what he remembers experiencing in his coma and the commotion that was going on in the hospital room during that same time.  This book explains thoroughly the medical jargon of the rare illness that the author experiences and his stay in the hospital. The coma experience is very descriptively explained as well; but was definitely harder for me to follow.

Upon my completion of the book, I contemplated what this book’s message meant to me. I concluded that I am glad he made it through his illness; he had the courage to come forth with his experience; he was able to get closure. Additionally, the mystery behind the butterfly on the cover is revealed towards the end of the book (which I guessed). I would not read this book again (and glad I got it from the library), but I am glad that I motivated myself to read it. The brain remains a mystery to so many; therefore, it was informative to read about a neurosurgeon’s attempt to sort through the miracle that he was able to recover all of his memories and knowledge when science indicates that he shouldn’t have been able.

Albert Einstein, one of the greatest minds in the scientific world stated, “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is.” I personally hope that the latter is true!



No comments:

Post a Comment