Friday, August 24, 2012

Mount Rainier: Round 2

So I had such an amazing time that I couldn't wait to go back to Mt. Rainier; I returned back to the mountain a mere four days after my first trip. I had some friends visiting from the midwest and the mountain was on their list of things to see. I now had the mindset that I was a pro in hiking (I am a very humble individual) and shared my experience with them so the only surprise on the trip would be the breathtaking views.

Thankfully, all the highways were open, so it only took us about 90 minutes to arrive to Paradise. We went on a Thursday, early in the morning (we left Seattle at 5:30am) so we were able to park at the Paradise Visitor Center; which was absolutely great not having to ride the shuttle.

We ended up doing a mini version of the hike I did before, and then we drove to Reflection Lake. Then we drove to Crystal Mountain to ride the gondolas. We encountered a lot of road construction on the way. After driving through all the road construction, we needed to find a gas station pronto. We then ate at the most delicious little diner called Peter's Inn Restaurant in Packwood, WA, I definitely recommend ordering anything with hash browns.

At Crystal Mountain they have ski lifts and gondolas, and the gondolas take you to about 7000 ft of elevation and you have a spectacular view of Mt. Rainier and additional mountain peaks and ranges. I particularly remember Mount Unicorn being visible. At 7000 ft elevation there is a gift shop, two restaurants and comfy lawn chairs to sit on. One gondola ticket is good for a round trip.

Crystal Mountain has an array of trails from easy-strenuous; however, we did not participate in any. From Crystal Mountain to Seattle was about another 90 minute drive. It was nice to see the Seattle skyline when returning. I do enjoy spending time away from my beloved city but I am always more than happy to return to its embrace and cell reception.

At approximately 7000 ft elevation, Mt. Rainier in the background

On a gondola and going up the mountain

The gondolas at Crystal Mountain



No comments:

Post a Comment