Monday, June 10, 2019

Shopping Tricks

About three years ago, going shopping was something that brought me so much "joy and happiness". At times, it was a shared experience with friends and family, and at times, I would shop by myself; a little "me" time. My mindset, and at times my self-worth was tied to wanting and owning the trendiest item. Also, when I would experience a positive outcome in school and/or work, I would go out and buy myself something new and nice. I was rewarding myself with things, and surrounding myself with more and more, but really, was I gaining more...?!?! I was fortunate that my desire for more, did not ever cause me to be in debt, but there were losses and missed opportunities. However, reflecting on that, I have given myself the permission to grow and learn, and still be open to new ideas and experiences.

One of those new experiences just happened. Recently, I moved out of Seattle after living there for seven years. My love for Seattle hasn't lessen, but I was seeking more, more connection, more tranquility, and a healthier life and mind. Therefore, I now live on a private lake. I am no longer looking for the next item to purchase at a department store, but rather, the next memorable adventure or new outdoor activity to try. 

I do not want to paint a picture that my home is stark and empty; I still have things. But I constantly evaluate and reevaluate the things that remain. And, if it comes to the point, when a new purchase is obtained, it is never impulsive. Below are some shopping tricks to consider, the next time you are about to make a purchase, either small or large.

Shopping tricks
  • When you finally find those elusive perfect pants, buy two pairs. I recently found the most comfortable walking boot, and bought two of them. With the purchase of a boot that can be causal or dressy, I decluttered three other pairs of shoes.
  • Shop your pantry before shopping at the grocery store! Pick out the unusual or bulky item that's been around forever and plan a meal around it.
  • I hold every piece of clothing in my hand and ask out loud, "Want or need?" It could save a lot of money.
  • Find a friend or two who have the same fashion style and shopping philosophy as you. Take them with you as often as possible. Having a second opinion that echoes your values leads to less buyer's regret.
  • I use one reusable shopping bag and fill only that one bag per shopping trip. This limits what I buy and how much time I spend in a store.
  • If something catches my eye, I name a price (to myself) I'd be willing to pay for it. Then I look at the tag, if it's more than the number I came up with, it doesn't come off the rack or shelf. That way I'm naming its value, not the other way around, and I stay in control of the money I want to spend.
  • If you can think of four realistic scenarios to wear it in, you can get it. If the scenarios aren't in the next three months, you should probably pass.
  • Reverse showrooming: Use Amazon to make a list of books I want to buy, then actually purchase those books at a local independent bookstore or check them out at a library.
  • I have a limited number of hangers. When something new comes in, at least one thing goes out. No new hangers.
  • Go digital: If you don't remember whether you already have a V-neck black shirt, the closet inventory website and app Finery (finery.com). It searches your past purchases and lets you upload images to create a virtual closet and keep track of what you want to buy in the future.
Organizing Challenge
  • Shoes
    • Increase visibility: Keep shoes that you wear most often on open shelving.
    • Prevent dirty floors: Stop dirt in its tracks by placing in-season shoes on a rubberized boot tray in the entryway.
    • Level up: If you have open floor space in a closet, opt for stackable shoe racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment