Monday, November 12, 2012

101 Places NOT to See

I have currently just finished reading the book, 101 Places Not to See Before You Die by Catherine Price. As a person who loves to travel I was curious if I had visited any of the places mentioned in the book. I have been to 5/101 places (Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore, Seattle Gum Wall, Las Vegas and the sidewalk outside the Roman Coliseum during Crazy Gladiator's shift).

Here are some of the memorable places that I do NOT have the travel bug to explore:
  • The Testicle Festival: A festival dedicated to bull testicles that attracts 15,000 people that has the slogan "Come Have A Ball."
  • The Beijing Museum of Tap Water: A 2001 edict required the city to open 150 new museums by 2008; hence this museum along with museums devoted to goldfish, honeybees, and red sandalwood. 
    • An interesting fact in this chapter is that in 2007 Beijing was the first Chinese city whose water officially passed a test for 106 contaminants; but is still unsafe to drink.
  • An Overnight Stay at a Korean Temple: After reading this chapter I know I am absolutely not cut out to be a monk
  • Other museums to not visit are the Needle Museum (in England) and the Tupperware Museum.
  • The Blarney Stone: And here the Rolling Stones thought they saw the most kissing action obviously were not aware of this famous stone that gets approximately 400,000 kissing visitors that risk contracting STDs for some good luck...Luck of the Irish, I don't think so....
  • Fucking Austria: a village that refuses to change it's name because it's annual GDP is highly dependent on it's T-shirt sales. Also there is a Newfoundland town that is called Dildo, home of the Dildo Museum, and holds the Historic Dildo Days summer event.
  • Any Place Whose Primary Claim to Fame is a Large Fiberglass Thing: This includes a Big Banana in Australia. For those of you that do not know I absolutely loathe bananas. I have even posted about my abhorrence for bananas in other blog postings.  
  • Manneken Pis: Means "little pee man" that has a sister statue called Jeanneke Pis
  • The Annual Poison Oak Show: Festival that involves the Best Arrangement of Poison Oak, Best Poison Oak Accessory or Jewelry, Most Original Poison Oak Dish, and Best Photo of Poison Oak Rash. This show is another reason why I despise plants (I don't stereotype, I hate ALL plants) and this is why when I own a yard I will replace the grass with concrete....no mowing the grass for me.
  • The Next Eruption of the Yellowstone Supervolcano: Between the volcano that is due to erupt (it erupts every 600,000 to 700,000 years and it's been 640,000) and the major fault line that in the past has caused an entire mountain to collapse, I have decided that Yellowstone Park is getting removed from my Bucket List of Things to do Before I Die, because I would most likely die there. I love nature and hiking, but not that much!
  • The Bottom of a Pig Lagoon: I have concluded that this is the worst way to die; it has been know to wipe out entire families.
    • Fun fact: The average pig produces three times as much feces as your average human and it all ends up in a lagoon along with other "goodies".
My overall review of the book is that I learned a lot of informational tidbits; however, I was reading it initially for comic value. There was definitely parts that made me giggle, but not as much as I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment