Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Like Killing Flies

I love exploring restaurants; it is one of my favorite things to do when I travel or move someplace new. Since moving to Seattle I now have cable for the first time in 7 years, and the only channel I watch is The Food Network channel. I am totally addicted to Drive-in Diners and Dives, and I make a conscious effort to check out the restaurants the host of the show, Guy Fieri, visits when I am traveling someplace new. I just love "Mom and Pop" restaurants, the food has character and so do the owners.

I just recently finished  watching the documentary "I Like Killing Flies." It's about the eccentric, witty, and funny owner (Kenny) of the restaurant, Shopsin's, in Greenwich Village.  Kenny has an interesting perspective in life and how he runs his business. This restaurant looks like a hole in the wall on it's best day; and for a restaurant that you would think anything and anyone is welcomed,  you will be shocked that "restaurant rules" are strictly enforced. Kenny is not above throwing out customers if they do not follow his restaurant rules. A restaurant with so much personality is on the brink of being shut down after 30 years of being opened.  You definitely want to see this documentary on your next rainy day, or the next time your stomach is growling. The movie is available instantly on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment